Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Beauty of Mathematics...

When I was in school, the only subject that I could really excel in was Mathematics.  Physics was a distant second!   [Kindly note that here "excel" is relative to the other subjects that I took.]

To me, mathematics was easy or "kacang putih" as some would put it.

Why is mathematics easy?

It is easy because there is a definite answer to almost every problem, save of course when we talk about infinity and complex numbers.  But, in every day life, how many things involve infinity and complex numbers? 

Over time, I find that mathematics is very useful in testing logic dished out by people, especially politician.  Every equation must be equal, otherwise we cannot terms it as "equation".  The left side must be equal to the right.

As I have written previously, the logic behind what is affordable to a person could be quantified if we know (for a fact) his/her sources of income.  No amount of convincing would be sufficient to defy the logic of mathematics.

Using mathematics we would be able to reasonably determine whether a salaried person is living within their means.  This is especially so if the person holds public office.

If what is earned legally does not equate to ones lifestyle, then some facts must be missing.

For example, if I am earning RM5,000 a month or RM60,000 a year, I certainly would not be able to afford a RM1 million car or house.  My monthly salary would definitely not be sufficient to pay my monthly installment.

Unless, of course, I come from a rich and well-to-do family that has a foundation to its name.  The other possibility is the accumulation of wealth through marriage i.e. I married a rich spouse.  Or I may have won a huge jackpot lottery or I have a "side"  business.  Then in these cases, my monthly salary are meant just for pocket money...

There are, I think, a few more possibilities of getting and/or being rich but nevertheless not too many.

It would be a totally different scenario if I am into business (legitimate or otherwise).  Then how much I could make would be very much dependent on how hard I work and, of course, a little luck.

This is the beauty of mathematics.  Mathematics is based on logic.  Logic that could be comprehended by humans, like you and I.  

If we were to go by this "comprehending"  logic, could we conclude that politicians (at least the ones living the lifestyle of the super rich and famous) are not human?

No comments: