Friday, July 25, 2008

Why Proton is (almost) never an option when it comes to buying cars?

Recent newspapers coverage on the high maintenance costs of Proton cars, particularly Perdana V6 is not surprising. As expected, the response from Proton is one that reflects its continuous self-denial and arrogance.

I never owned a Proton nor have I ever visited a Proton showroom. But I am now driving the 1st generation Proton Saga. Battered with rust here and there, this Proton Saga proved to be reliable and relatively trouble free. I have never brought this Proton to an authorised service outlet because their prices are simply exorbitant! To me, the China-man having his makeshift workshop under the big tree is just as good, if not better in terms of diagnostics and pricing.

I refuse to buy Proton is stemmed from the fact that too many negative stories have emerged and reported. Despite all those, Proton and their dealers have continued to be arrogant! To be precise, BODOH-SOMBONG! I used to owned a Perodua vehicle. Contrasting from Proton, Perodua is more customer oriented. Customer complains, especially under warranty, have been tended to without much fuss and sour-looking expressions. In addition, Perodua has never been arrogant - "if you do not want to buy it is okay because there are a thousand others waiting in line..." This line of arrogant statement by Proton and their dealers has become "hard-wired" into my brain cells that I simply refuse to even visit their showrooms.

Can I be accused of being unpatriotic? Certainly! They can accuse me of anything they want but my conscience is very clear. Even if I buy a non-national car, I am subsidising the national car, Proton and Perodua! So for as long as I remain as a citizen of Malaysia and whatever non-national car I buy, I am subsidising Proton and Perodua. Subsidising Perodua is not an issue. It's just subsidising Proton that bugs me because they are a bunch of arrogant people!

Proton should change their tagline or motto to "Customers owe Proton a living and Proton don't depend on Customers"!

2 comments:

Abi Ayyub said...

Because as always, mana ada standard. Nak pakai Mercedes,BMW ke Volvo ke. Dulu sebelum ada PROTON dapat pakai kereta yang canggih, sekarang dapat PROTON Perdana V6 aje, mana best.

Yang nak melingkupkan tu orang yang dapat kereta official lah, kalau kat rakyat, yang mengerti kebanggaan negara, sekurang-kurangnya adalah Malaysia kereta.

Yang utama bagaimana nak memperbaikinya...

Abi Ayyub said...

In addition, I bought the first addition of PROTON when it was introduce for about RM20K. It served my purpose well and after more that 5 years, I sold it for RM22K, well quite good isn't it, 5 years and 2K profit??

At the same time, we bought another Aeroback, serve us quite well. Than we had an Iswara and it was ok as well.

However, until now We have been driving Japanese made.

Reason being, during the crisis 1998 onward I felt my loyalty had been betrayed, so I do not buy PROTON and gas up at PETRONAS.

Now a little bit sober, but still upset, I look at the whole situation from a different perspective.

Dr Mahathir,Pak Lah & UMNO and Malaysia as being of different entity. Although I have yet to buy another PROTON or gas up at PETRONAS, somehow we should always support the local entity.

However, provided that the quality be continuously imporoved, and look at MAS ...